El Reno Carnegie Library Satistics:
El Reno started as a city in Oklahoma Territory, and the grant for their Carnegie Library was awarded in 1903, before statehood in 1907.
The grant of $12,500.00, awarded November 25, 1904, the library was completed May 5, 1905, and dedicated on June 14, 1904.
Correspondence indicates that the contract for building was awarded to A. C. Kraipke of El Reno.
The architect selected for the project was S. Wemyss Smith of Fort Worth, Texas and the contract between the city and the architect was dated May, 28, 1904
The property for the library's construction was donated by J. N. Mitchum, who also gave $600.00 to the project.
The El Reno Carnegie Library
The El Reno Carnegie Library was constructed of yellow brick. The projecting portal with a truncated triangular pediment is supported by pairs of Ionic Columns on large brick pedestals. A triangular classical pediment surmounts the doorway and is supported by 2 smaller Ionic Columns. The flat areas along the projecting portal roofline once held sculpture.
interior wood molding is rich and in good condition, the pressed tin ceiling and
floral swags along the interior give the rooms a light and airy feeling.
Interior columns are of the Ionic order. Color was added to the swags in the
The original library tables have had their legs cut down, were refinished, and now serve as the tables in the children’s area on the second floor. An original table still survives in the storage area also.